Sunday 9 October 2011

Thoughts from a cross country drive

So much time for thinking has left me with some discombobulated thoughts. They are not entirely random, each of them stemmed from something I saw or thought I saw, nor are they particularly cohesive... but they were things that I wished I had someone to share them with, and if you're reading this, then you my friend, are that person.

As I was driving I was noticing that rivers tended to wind rather than follow a straight path. I think that our lives are somewhat similar in the course that they follow. The most direct route (I had been going to say directest but clearly that is not correct) is not necessarily the best one.

Age is merely a page marker in the adventure you are living. It does not determine where you will go or what course your life will take. It does not limit your hopes, your dreams, your plans. Regardless of the story line, or the length of the narrative, live well.

Less than a week ago I tried to do something without following all the steps. I took a short cut, because it was going to take time to do it the long way. But guess what. It was more complicated and time consuming than if I had just done it properly from the get go. In the process, something broke and I caught it as it was falling, but it cut my hand in several places. My hand is now completely healed, and save for a small gouge in the wall there's no real evidence that I took that "short cut" except for maybe I'm little bit wiser.

You should not speed in a construction zone when there is a police car directly behind you. You should also not answer a cell phone in the same situation.

Driving the speed limit is a bit like watching everyone get married before you. Frustrating.

There are a lot of annoying voices on the radio.

Gas prices go up and speed limits go down as you travel east across the country, is there a correlation?

signs on the road:
Moose on the loose
Daze Doze Dead

Ontario is very serious about speeding. Speed fines are posted often.

I'm really glad that I'm not walking.

1 comment:

  1. oops, I was going through, and noticed that this one hadn't been published yet, so published it. Apparently having written it in October does not mean it will be published in October... I will try to rearrange.

    ReplyDelete