Wednesday 14 December 2011

what I learned from Labyrinth...

If you've seen the labyrinth you're probably aware of the scene where Jareth asks Sarah: "what do you think of my labyrinth?" and she replies: "piece of cake" and then she and hoggle have to run for their lives from the cleaners. More or less.

So, the other day when someone asked me something about my upcoming flight back to Ottawa from Sydney, I should not have responded: "easy peasy".

At the airport in Sydney there was a storm, which held us tarmac locked until it passed. A flight that was supposed to leave at 12:15 left almost two hours later at 2pm. Don't get me wrong, I'd much rather be grounded than struck lightning but it did turn 14 hours into 16 hours.

A late arrival in Vancouver meant a missed connection and a reroute, through Toronto.

As we were landing in Toronto, the plane lost radio contact with the air traffic control tower and had to pull up and circle the airport until communication was re-established. Which made us late arriving and resulted in another missed connection. Again, glad to not be crash landing.

The flight from Toronto to Ottawa seemed to be taking awhile to take off, we sat at the gate for awhile waiting for... wait for it... yes, the pilot. The flight deck crew apparently missing. Somewhere in the airport. Then the ground crew get relocated to another plane.

But really, even with all of that, it was only 25 hours of traveling. It would be much much worse on a boat.

And my mom and dad were there to greet me, with Christmas cookies!

It's good to be home.

No comments:

Post a Comment