Thursday 29 December 2011

Christmas wonders

I hope that you know what Christmas is really about. With all the talk I hear of Santa and elves, of shopping, and family, of gifts and food, and all the trappings, I have noticed that it is sometimes difficult to remember exactly or really know why we celebrate Christmas.

Don't get me wrong, I have some fairly vivid memories of Santa showing up at my house Christmas eve, encouraging me and my siblings to get to bed early, since he wouldn't be leaving any presents while we were awake. Hastily, almost rudely we said goodnight to the stranger in the suit and to our parents as we hurried up to bed.

And I love the food and the family and the traditions that make Christmas feel like Christmas. For us it's family time. Going out to cut down the tree together, decorating the tree together, baking and eating the cookies together (some of us do more of the eating than the baking). Then a candlelight Christmas eve service at our church, complete with the singing of the traditional Christmas hymns, and hearing the Christmas story read out loud. Getting our jammies on and hanging up our stockings on the railing before going to bed. Waking up too early to creep down the stairs and check that someone has filled the stockings. Opening presents one at a time to make sure that each gift is acknowledged and aaahhhed over appropriately. Homemade cinnamon buns and tea and clementines from our stockings. Testing out new toys, trying on new clothes, having wrapping paper fights. Thanks given for the day and the people and the ultimate gift. Turkey dinners with all the family. The collective sigh as everyone sits by the fire, rehashing the day and enjoying each other's company. The things are often things I feel that I need for Christmas to feel like Christmas.

But as it turns out, Christmas is not about feelings, or mood, or cheer. It's not about the gifts that we so carefully buy, and wrap. And as the Grinch so aptly pointed out, Christmas doesn't come from a store and does, in fact, mean a little bit more.

Christmas, the celebration of the birth of Christ, is another reminder that God keeps His promises, that His timing is perfect, that even though things may seem wildly unfair and out of control that He has not forgotten us. That He is still faithful, that He is with us and has overcome all obstacles to reunite us with Himself. All that is left is for us to humble ourselves and accept not only that we need Him but that we love Him for what He has done and is yet to do. Our God is good.

So, while the list of things that I love about Christmas is extensive, I can tell you that it is not those things that bring meaning to my Christmas. My Christmas is because Jesus Christ, the begotten Son of God, came to earth as a baby and grew up to manhood without breaking any of Gods' laws, to do not His own will, but the will of His Father.

I pray that your Christmas was good. But more than that, that it was and will ever more be meaningful.

"Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace among those with whom He is pleased." Luke 2:14

No comments:

Post a Comment