Wednesday 30 November 2011

melben

So, "Melben" (Melbourne) was lovely!  Day by day might be a bit of a dreary recount so I'll give you the highlights. I stayed with an aunt and uncle on the Mornington Peninsula and had a very relaxing and enjoyable visit consisting of many of excellent coffees, lots of fabulous food, and a spectacular view of the ocean. It was a pleasant twenty minute walk down to the beach; very near where Harold Holt, a former prime minister of Australia, disappeared into the ocean. Not the most hospitable spot for swimming. I did not risk entering the fierce surf crashing endlessly into the shore.

For those of you who don't know, my aunt and uncle love golf. And while I love my aunt and uncle I can only take golf in smallish doses. So, while they went off to worship on the greens, I had a little adventure of my own. Stand up paddle boarding lessons!

A long, fairly stable board, and a paddle were the means to carry me on my perilous sea voyage. I was pleasantly surprised at how stable the board was on the very calm bay of Dromana, and how relatively easy it was to stand up. Lynda, my instructor, gave me the basics; how to paddle, what to do if there is an emergency (ie if I happen to be drowning, attacked by a shark, etc.) how to get from kneeling to standing, how to turn the board, and how to stay on in small waves.

I had a wet suit on ( I love wet suits!!! I know they don't look cool, but I feel invincible in a wetsuit... despite my resemblance to a seal whilst sheathed in foam neoprene) which kept me warm on and in the water. I did manage to stay dry for most of the lesson, believe it or not. It was only when Lynda called out "look how far you've come!" that I turned and toppled into the water, losing my sunglasses in the process. Fortunately there was a very helpful gentleman with a mask and snorkel who discovered them without too much difficulty.

Among the culinary delights were wine tasting Mornington peninsula, hot chocolate affogatos at koko black, cheese from a local cheese factory, and fresh cherries and strawberries which are in season here.

The best times though were sitting on the beach, watching the waves crash, and talking to my God.  He who holds the oceans in His hand, who can calm the sea with an authoritative "peace be still", and who satisfies my soul with good things.

1 comment:

  1. wow, Kirsten, what a brilliant adventure you are having ( ; I love hearing your random, descriptive imagery (i.e. seal whilst sheathed in foam neoprene!) and the lovely, savoury, scenic, and bonding moments you are having.

    We miss you here on Canadian turf but are hopeful that you continue to have an amazing time over the next 10 days!

    Love you :)

    ReplyDelete